Associate Professor, Department of Health and Nutrition Sciences, Brooklyn College
Biochemistry PhD program, Graduate Center of CUNY
PhD in Nutrition (05/2013 at Cornell University)
My research is focused on nutrients involved in one carbon metabolism, such as choline, betaine, folate and vitamin B12, which affect various aspects of metabolic functions. My research group currently conducts mammalian cell culture, animal and human studies to assess the influence of choline intake during pregnancy on epigenetic programing and metabolic imprinting of offspring health. We are also interested in the interaction between one carbon metabolism and pathogenesis of diabetes, non-alcoholic fatty liver diseases, and cancer.
- Korsmo HW, Edwards K, Dave B, Jack-Roberts C, Yu H, Saxena A, Salvador M, Dembitzer M, Phagoora J, Jiang X. Prenatal Choline Supplementation during High-Fat Feeding Improves Long-Term Blood Glucose Control in Male Mouse Offspring. Nutrients. 2020; 12(1), 144.
- Joselit Y, Nanobashvili K, Jack-Roberts C, Greenwald E, Malysheva OV, Caudill MA, Saxena A, Jiang X. Maternal betaine supplementation affects fetal growth and lipid metabolism of high-fat fed mice in a temporal-specific manner. Nutr Diabetes. 2018;8(1):41.
- Nam J, Greenwald E, Jack-Roberts C, Ajeeb TT, Malysheva OV, Caudill MA, Axen K, Saxena A, Semernina E, Nanobashvili K, Jiang X. Choline prevents fetal overgrowth and normalizes placental fatty acid and glucose metabolism in a mouse model of maternal obesity. J Nutr Biochem. 2017;49:80-88.
- Jiang X, West AA, Caudill MA, Maternal choline supplementation: a nutritional approach for improving offspring health? Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2014; 25 (5), 263-273
- Jiang X, Yan J, West AA, Perry CA, Malysheva OV, Devapatla S, Pressman E, Vermeylen F, Caudill MA. Maternal choline intake alters the epigenetic state of fetal cortisol-regulating genes in humans. FASEB J. 2012; 26 (8):3563-74
Grants over the last 5 years
National Institutes of Health SCORE3
Jiang (PI) 03/01/2019-02/28/2023
Grant Number: 1SC3GM132010
Title: Long-term effects of maternal choline supplementation on lipid metabolism of offspring exposed to maternal high-fat feeding
Jiang (PI) 06/2019-12/2020
Title: Effects of maternal choline supplementation on liver metabolism and severity of alcoholic liver disease in mouse offspring exposed to alcohol in utero
Egg Nutrition Center Research Grant, American Egg Board, USDA
Jiang (PI) 07/01/2018-12/31/2020
Title: Maternal egg consumption during pregnancy and cognitive development in offspring
National Institutes of Health SCORE2
Jiang (PI) 06/10/2015-05/31/2018
Grant Number: 1SC2DK108292
Title: Effects of choline on fetal growth and lipid accretion in gestational diabetes
CUNY Interdisciplinary Research Grant Program
Jiang (PI) 06/01/2017- 06/01/2018
Title: The role of choline in reducing perinatal stress and improving birth outcomes of gestational diabetes in a high-risk urban population
New York Academy of Sciences Research Award
Jiang (PI) 04/30/2016-10/30/2017
Title: Prenatal betaine supplementation as a treatment for macrosomia in a mouse model of gestational diabetes mellitus
Jiang (PI) 07/2016- 07/2017
Title: Influence of betaine on placental macronutrient transport and gestational diabetes-induced macrosomia